At Island Energy Services (IES), we are constantly looking for people who are driven to find cleaner, smarter ways to fuel our community. It is our goal to provide our customers with efficient, reliable, and high quality services. No matter where you are on your career path, Island Energy offers continued education and training to help you cultivate your skills and expand your opportunities.
Under the general supervision of the IT Team Lead, the Systems Administrator (SA) provides Retail Point of Sale (POS) systems and application support, corporate IT server and networking infrastructure administration, repair and support for the IT Department. The SA understands and demonstrates knowledge of relevant IT technology, various hardware and software, and cybersecurity computing standards.
Desired competencies include accuracy, attention to detail, and knowledge of Retail POS systems, servers, networking devices, desktop/laptop PCs, and related peripherals. Ideal candidate must be able to establish priorities under tight deadlines, manage risk, exhibits strong problem-solving skills, and have a proven track record as a motivated, self-starter who can work on multiple projects and priorities within a fast-paced environment.
Education and Experience
- Three to Five years of progressively responsible IT experience.
- Proven experience in multi-tasking of work projects.
- Associates Degree in Information Technology or related field.
- Written Communication—the individual edits work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively and can read and interpret written information.
- Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations and demonstrates group presentation skills. Ability to provide excellent customer service and customer relations.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Quality control—the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information as appropriate.
- Minimum five years of experience with managing on premises IT hardware and software infrastructure including HP, Dell, Cisco, Meraki, Microsoft and VMware products.
- Minimum five years of experience in Point of Sale system implementation, setup/configuration and maintenance.
- Comp-TIA A+, Network+, Security + certification.
- Familiarity with Payment Card Industry standards and compliance.
- Experience with POS system implementation, upgrade and maintenance.
- Experience with gasoline refueling system and/or petroleum related service.
- Basic knowledge of mechanical, electrical and/or pump maintenance.
- Experience with energized systems such as electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, etc.
- Willingness to commit to The Island Way (IES core values of): Kīnāʻole, Aloha, Lōkahi and Ho’ohana.
- Pass background check including periodic job-related physical abilities testing as required.
- Must be able to obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC) within sixty days of hire.
- This is a safety sensitive position and random drug testing is required.
Major Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Provide day-to-day support and technical issue resolution on Point of Sale systems, computing devices, network devices, and related applications.
- Provide on-site support at our retail sites when unable to resolve remotely
- Work with both cash register and fuel pump sales systems
- Provide computer, networking, printer, and other sales device support for Retail operations
- Ability to provide end-to-end troubleshooting of IT problems, involve the proper vendor support groups if necessary, and carry out resolution
2. Provides support for server and networking computing infrastructure for organization.
- Support, design, procure, and implement core computing infrastructure such as servers, data circuits, cloud systems, firewalls, switches, and applications
- Ability to provide end-to-end troubleshooting of IT problems, involve the necessary team members and vendor support groups if necessary, and carry out resolution
- Assist help desk staff by providing 2nd-level support when necessary
3. Design computer system upgrades by defining requirements and implementing hardware and software solution
- Proactively look for ways to improve IT systems and processes
- Discuss improvement ideas with key stakeholders and decide on path forward
- Implement improvement plan
4. Provide urgent response in unusual or emergency situations to correct adverse conditions
- Expectation is for person to quickly assess situation, involve the right people right away, and carry out resolution quickly and decisively
- Ability to learn and improve future handling in a similar situation
5. Respond to after hour emergency service requests for “site down” and other urgent situations.
- Evening hours, weekends, and holiday call outs as needed
- Part of a rotational call out system
- Expected to take employee issued laptop home and work remotely or onsite when necessary
- Neighbor island travel as required
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to evaluate information and exercise good judgment in making decisions.
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality.
- Interpersonal Skills—the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and can deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability—the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.