Retail Facilities Maintenance & Safety Manager
Under the general supervision of the Vice President, Retail Marketing the Retail Facilities Maintenance & Safety Manager provides project management for maintenance functions for the IES Retail owned service stations. The position directs, plans, and coordinates operational activities for IES Retail Operations and is responsible for devising policies and strategies to meet company goals.
In addition, this position requires providing safety related support and training across the IES Retail business segment and has an indirect reporting line to the IES Safety, Security and Emergency Management Lead.
Desired Competencies include: Proven project management and procurement skills. Strong organizational and communication skills with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail. Ideal candidate must be able to plan, negotiate, and designate and track project resources for multiple priorities often under tight deadlines. Must have a proven track record as a motivated, self-starter who can work in a fast-paced and evolving environment. Candidate should be able to demonstrate commitment to a strong safety culture and willingness to hold safety and environmental protection as their highest concern. Comfortable providing training in both a classroom as well as field settings.
Education and Experience
1. High School Diploma or equivalent required.
2. Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience preferred.
3. Three to Five years of progressively responsible experience in project management or facility management for multiple or large facilities. Proven experience in multi-tasking of work projects.
4. Prior relevant experience in facility management, manufacturing, and/or retail fueling industries preferred.
5. Proven experience in the development, coordination and implementation of workplace safety programs designed to achieve a safety culture that experiences an OSHA recordable safety incident rate of zero (0).
6. Prior relevant experience in oil and gas industries is strongly preferred.
1. OSHA/HIOSH certifications required.
2. Knowledge of OSHA standards.
3. Knowledge of Rescue Training, HAZWOPER, and Safe Work Practices required
4. Possess sound knowledge of hazard identification and safe work practices for a retail and light industrial work setting.
5. Proficient Microsoft Office Suite skills, including editing and proofreading.
6. Must have sound knowledge of eProcurement tools, and contracting/purchasing best practices.
7. Ability to maintain automated and manual record keeping systems.
8. Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
1. Willingness to commit to The Island Way (IES core values of): Kīnā’ole, Aloha, Lōkahi and Hoʻohana.
2. Pass background check including periodic job-related physical abilities testing as required.
3. This is a safety sensitive position and random drug testing is required.
4. Available to work after normal business hours, weekends and holidays.
5. Valid driver’s license with clean abstract.
6. Willingness to devote the time as needed to meet packet and task deadlines.
7. Willingness to maintain or increase skills.
Major Responsibilities include but not limited to:
Retail Facilities and Maintenance
1. Works with service providers to ensure timely, quality services at competitive prices – including review and support of contracting and procurement.
2. Approves invoices for emergency repairs and pre-negotiated maintenance on completion of scope of work.
3. Plans, negotiates, approves and tracks repairs on variable maintenance services and contracts.
4. Serves as primary point of contact for third party dispatch service and maintenance contractors.
5. Plans short-, mid- and long-range maintenance for Service Stations.
6. Support facility regulatory compliance across multiple areas including underground storage tank fueling systems, fire suppression, and wastewater.
7. Conduct audits of the JHA/Work Permitting process for all maintenance and project work.
8. Conduct Incident Investigations as directed and assist with Industrial Hygiene Monitoring.
9. Travel to attend meetings, conferences and visit local stations/work sites as needed to support business operations.
1. Provide First Aid/CPR/AED training for select company personnel.
2. Provide refresher training of Safe Work Practices and proper use of PPE.
3. Proactively updates and maintains safety and compliance related procedures and any other safety and compliance related documents as needed.
4. Conduct audits of Safe Work Practices and other field activities to ensure work is being performed and the facilities are maintained in a safe condition.
5. Coordinate and implement retail location field walks including safety and compliance audits with store management for COCO and CORO locations, and support as directed the same for RORO locations.
6. Oversees the contractor safety program for the Retail operation.
1. Teamwork – Works effectively with coworkers and others by sharing ideas in a constructive, positive manner; listening to and objectively considering ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress and issues; addressing problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical solutions; and respecting the
diversity of the IES workforce in actions, words, and deeds.
2. Maintains commitment to a high standard of safety, comply with all safety laws and IES safety policies/rules and report actual and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel to further IES core value of safety.
3. Other duties as assigned.
1. Ability to uphold to strict ethical standards: integrity, objectivity, and confidentiality.
2. Strong sense of team spirit and ability to transfer it to others.
3. Ability to work independently.
4. Ability to evaluate information and exercise good judgment in making decisions.
5. Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality.
6. Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information as appropriate.
7. Interpersonal Skills—the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things.
8. Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations and demonstrates group presentation skills. Ability to provide excellent customer service and customer relations.
9. Written Communication—the individual edits work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively and can read and interpret written information. Ability to keep multiple stakeholders informed throughout project work.
10. Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
11. Quality control—the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
12. Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and can deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
13. Dependability—the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.