Pipeline Equipment Operator Trainee #2020-0008
Under the supervision of the Pipeline Lead, the Pipeline Equipment Operator Trainee supports the maintenance of IES pipeline infrastructure as the primary Heavy Equipment/Excavator operator. Incumbent in this position must have prior experience in excavation while performing job functions in a safe and reliable manner. Incumbent works as part of pipeline integrity maintenance team including mechanics and operating engineers.
Desired competencies include: ability to perform job functions as part of a team, attention to detail and ability to meet physical demands. Ideal candidate must have a proven track record as a motivated, self-starter who can work on multiple pipeline tasks in a fast-paced environment. Knowledge of pipeline construction is a plus.
To apply online, please click on the job link listed to the right of this page.
- Minimum of 3 years of heavy equipment excavation experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of other heavy equipment operation
- Must maintain in current status; all required equipment certifications.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Currently hold or have ability to obtain DOT Medical Certification
- Must be able to work extended hours (more than 8 hours) at a time. Occasionally works weekends.
- Must be able to lift 50 – 75 pounds of equipment and meet physical requirements.
- This position is considered safety sensitive.
- Currently hold or have ability to obtain Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) Clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- CDL Driver’s License Type A is highly desired
- Knowledge of refinery\Petro Chemical pipeline systems.
- Vehicle and Heavy Maintenance equipment experience.
- Proficient knowledge of OSHA requirements.
- Knowledge of DOT requirements.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Drive and control heavy construction type equipment such as hydraulic excavators, dump trucks, equipment trailers, backhoes , bulldozers, forklifts and hydraulic equipment.
- Responsible for ensuring machinery is being operated safely and in compliance with IES procedures, policies and OSHA\DOT regulations.
- Works with and assists the Pipeline crew in digging ditches and trenches, hoisting material, tools, equipment, and any related work with a backhoe, front-end loader, excavators.
- Load and unload equipment from vehicles and trailers.
- Ensure company equipment, material, and the work site are maintained, kept clean, and stored in a safe manner.
- Inspect heavy equipment/machinery for safe day-to-day operation.
- Specific knowledge and experience with trench shoring and bracing per OSHA requirements .
- At all times, maintains awareness of surroundings, including fellow employees and visible and non-visible hazards such as elevation changes, street crossings, and underground utilities.
- Moves, loads and spreads materials throughout project site utilizing mechanized equipment; unload pipes, pallets, and other materials.
- Coordinates with pipeline integrity maintenance team on site digs. Completes all required safety protocols before starting task . Clearly locates and marks location of IES pipeline before starting any excavation work.
- Handling or removing pipeline and associated materials at site.
- On occasion, this position removes and clears debris to ensure safe completion of task.
- Completes documentation including field inspection reports, maintenance checklist, inventory and other relevant documentation in the course of the shift.
- Reports all incidences to the Supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform excavator duties throughout Terminal facilities.
- Attend all required training and safety meetings.
- Knowledge of refinery, water, sewer, fire and storm pipeline systems.
- Demonstrated initiative and self-motivation.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage time efficiently.
- Demonstrated safety champion with previous employers.
- Demonstrated the ability to work productively as a team member.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
CompensationTBD based upon experience.
FLSA status: non-exempt position.
IES is an equal opportunity employer. Position open to US residents and resident aliens with a valid immigration status.