Heavy Equipment & Fleet Mechanic
Island Energy Services is searching for a Heavy Equipment & Fleet Mechanic to join our team! Under the general supervision of the Site Services Lead, the Heavy Equipment & Fleet Mechanic manages all business fleet (i.e: vehicles, tractors, trailers), rolling equipment (i.e.: forklifts, pumps, generators, air compressors, etc.) and tool room property.
Desired competencies include ability to manage, prioritize and organize maintenance requests, resolve issues, perform inspection and maintenance of fleet, tools and equipment, and related tasks. The ideal candidate must be able to establish priorities under tight deadlines and have a proven track record as a motivated, self-starter who can work on multiple projects and priorities within a fast-paced environment. The incumbent is expected to have heavy equipment (diesel) mechanic experience as-well as basic vehicle mechanic skills.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Certification as a heavy equipment or related Trade school graduate
- Minimum 3 years proven work experience as a diesel or heavy equipment mechanic or related experience with repairing and maintaining vehicles, diesel trucks, and equipment
- Basic knowledge of OSHA & DOT requirements
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Must be able to work under minimal supervision and high-pressure environments.
- Ability to uphold strict ethical standards: integrity, objectivity, and confidentiality.
- Proficient Microsoft Office Suite skills, including editing and proofreading and other basic PC programs i.e. internet browser and file explorer, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret operations manuals, and to analyze and apply basic troubleshooting and repair techniques on various equipment.
- Ability to maintain automated and manual record keeping systems.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to evaluate information and exercise good judgment in making decisions.
- Strong sense of team spirit and ability to transfer it to others.
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information as appropriate.
- Interpersonal Skills—the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations and demonstrates group presentation skills. Ability to provide excellent customer service and customer relations.
- Written Communication—the individual edits work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively and can read and interpret written information.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Quality control—the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and can deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability—the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and Security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
Desirable Experience and Skills
- Forklift Certification is highly desired
- CDL Driver’s License Type A is highly desired
- Industrial Experience
- Construction and tools experience
- Willingness to commit to The Island Way (IES core values of): Kīnāʻole, Aloha, Lōkahi and Hoʻohana.
- Pass background check including periodic job-related physical abilities testing as required.
- This is a safety sensitive position and random drug testing is required.
- Valid driver’s license with clean abstract to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
- Must be able to obtain a DOT Medical Card/License.
- Must be able to obtain CDL Class A License within 6-12 months after hire.
- Must be able to obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC) within sixty days of hire.
- Flexible schedule as overtime hours is required periodically to make necessary emergency service calls and repairs.
- Willing to take required training courses to become qualified to act as the company’s equipment trainer for forklifts & manlifts.
- Willingness to travel as this position requires periodic work at offsite or neighbor island locations.
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including: full body coveralls, protective footwear, hard hats, hearing protection, eye protection, etc.
- Willingness to devote the time as needed to meet packet and task deadlines.
- Willingness to maintain or increase skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the incumbent physical requirements are:
- This position frequently works in an outdoor environment under various weather conditions including but not limited to; rain, wind, sunlight, heat, changes in temperature and strong odors.
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of times on hard and uneven
- Ability to operate and use all equipment as necessary. Vision and depth perception are required.
- Ability to bend, carry, push, pull, stoop, squat, twist and kneel in narrow spaces.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Ability to work unaccompanied at a rapid work pace for extended shifts of 12 hours or more, as as
Major Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Responsible for ensuring vehicles & equipment fleet is being maintained and in compliance with IES procedures, policies, and OSHA/DOT regulations.
- Perform maintenance, troubleshooting, testing, and repairs of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems on gasoline, electric and diesel-powered light, and heavy motorized vehicles and equipment. Make sure each repair is performed in a manner that is safe, thorough, and cost effective. If unable to perform inspection or repairs in-house, incumbent is responsible to outsource & manage third party service within budget.
- Assist in developing a preventative maintenance plan for vehicles, equipment, and tools.
- Assist and provide input in developing annual Fleet budget.
- Responsible for purchasing and maintaining spare fleet inventory parts.
- Maintain fleet records; documentation of activity to include cause of failure, repair and service work performed.
- Notify supervisor of non-operable, inadequate, or unsafe equipment or working conditions.
- Management of Tool Room inventory.
- Provide/develop training for personnel on the use of shared equipment and tools issued from the tool room.
- Maintains cleanliness and safety protocols within associated working areas.
- Teamwork – Works effectively with coworkers and others by sharing ideas in a constructive, positive manner; listening to and objectively considering ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress and issues; addressing problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical solutions; and respecting the diversity of the IES workforce in actions, words, and deeds.
- Maintains commitment to a high standard of safety, comply with all safety laws and IES safety policies\rules and report actual and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel to further IES core value of safety.
- Perform other ad hoc duties/projects as assigned by management.
CompensationIsland Energy Services offers a competitive salary that commensurate with qualifications and experience. The hiring salary range for this position is $31.00 to $38.00 per hour. IES also offers a generous benefits package to include comprehensive health and welfare benefits, vacation, sick leave, 401k plus employer matching, supplemental voluntary insurance options, etc.
IES is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.